Shuriz Hishmeh, MD, PT, FAAOS Fellowship Trained Spine Surgeon
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Hishmeh, a New York City/Manhattan Spine Fellowship Trained Board Certified Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon has recently won the prestigious Patients Choice Award three years in a row. He trained under nationally recognized spine and deformity surgeons in Manhattan (New York City).
He is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon that completed his undergraduate training at New York University/NYU and specialized in Physical Therapy. He did his Orthopaedic Training at Stony Brook University Medical Center, Long Island. Although his formal training is complete, he strives to be on the cutting edge of technology and safety. He has traveled to St. Louis to train with internationally recognized deformity surgeons and has even traveled to South Korea to work with one of the great pioneers of deformity instrumentation, Professor Suk.
Dr. Hishmeh graduated with honors from the University of Vermont by receiving the prestigious academic award of Alpha Omega Alpha. Today, he specializes in all types of surgical spine care and brings that care to Long Island.
His background of physical therapy enables him to be empathic to your post operative care. His outstanding surgical training enables Dr. Hishmeh, with your involvement, to determine when and what surgical procedures can maximize your quality of life. This combination of empathy and surgical skills allows Dr. Hishmeh to make you feel comfortable and confident under his care.
Dr. Hishmeh is a member of the elite Scoliosis Research Society, the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Medical Society. He now sits on one of the committees of the Scoliosis Research Society and helps with the advancement of deformity and complex spinal surgery.
Dr. Hishmeh has been active in multiple research studies and has presented his research on a national level on numerous occasions, and trains residents at local hospitals.
Additionally, Dr. Hishmeh, on occasion, does Mission Trips to help advance surgery in much needed countries. To date, Dr. Hishmeh has been to Honduras twice and even to the Middle East to impart some education and teaching to the surgeons that are willing to learn.
Disclaimer: All surgery involves risks. Complications, although rare, can occur. Future results are impossible to predict and no guarantee of outcomes can be made.
- Undergraduate New York University, New York, NY
- Medical University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
- General Surgery Internship Stony Brook Medical Center, Stony Brook, Long Island
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Stony Brook Medical Center, Stony Brook, Long Island
- Spine Surgery Fellowship The Spine Institute at Beth Israel, New York, NY
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Diplomate of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- Scoliosis Research Society
- American Medical Association
- Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, Long Island, NY
- Melville Surgery Center-Melville, Long Island, NY
- St. Catherine of Sienna – Smithtown, Long Island, NY
- St. Joseph Hospital – Bethpage, Long Island, NY
Research papers by Dr Hishmeh
- Cauda Equina Review
- Chondroitin Sulfate Poster Presentation
- Chondroitin Sulfate To Faciliate Fracture Healing
- Combined Traumatic Occiput C1 and C1-C2 Dissociation
- Fibrous Dysplasia-Case Report Accepted
- Fibrous Dysplasia-Case Report
- Intra Wound Application Of Vancomycin Powder
- Thoracic Tumor Surgical Technique Guide
- Vancomycin and Fusion Rate
- Vitamin K To Reduce Blood Loss